Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
  • Create an account

Want more? Register now and get full access to our community!

Kirax

Skyrim Anniversary Edition 101

Author

Hi. Steam rolled out the newest update for SSE today. It is a mandated update even if you didn't purchase the anniversary edition. 

If you haven't opened your steam yet, you should probably backup your skyrim folder and lookup more info before doing so.

There's a $20 DLC in the store. Don't buy it - it's pure creation club content. It adds some terrible quests and armors and it is not worth $20 at all. It's nothing you can't get better from nexusmods. The quality and the quantity of the content is inconceivablely weak compared to what you can get for free on all the free mod sites you can think of.

This also means SKSE will stop working for now and we need to wait for an update. On top of that, bethesda updated the visual studio the complier uses from 2016 to 2019, a lot of mods that rely on scripts will break as well even if SKSE is back online. I heavily doubt mods like HDT-SMP will even get an update since the creator HDT herself doesn't even play skyrim anymore.

As for performance enhancement and optimization - don't worry, there is none. These sort of compiler changes may improve the performance of a single function by 10% but that function may only be used 0.001% of the time, so you're looking at a 1fps improvement max in some fringe cases with the AE update.

What does this mean? It means the AE is designed to accomplish two things - grab money from unsuspecting bethesda fans with low quality DLC, and another attempt to break the modding community and push their creation club.

The best solution to this attack on the modding aspect of the game is to simply stay on 1.5.97 version of SSE. I am currently using this downgrade patcher on nexusmods and I will keep updating new methods should this be fixed by Bethesda for some reason:
https://nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618

In the meantime, if you're still confused, have any questions, or issues that is bothering you, don't hesitate to leave a comment or direct message me and I'll help you however I can.

Edit: There is a preliminary release of a new SKSE for AE version, check it out here. 

reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/qrepbn/pc_sse_skse64_210_preliminary_release

I would still advise you to at least back up your game before trying this.

Edited by Kirax

Author
11 hours ago, Kirax said:

Hi. Steam rolled out the newest update for SSE today. It is a mandated update even if you didn't purchase the anniversary edition. 

If you haven't opened your steam yet, you should probably backup your skyrim folder and lookup more info before doing so.

There's a $20 DLC in the store. Don't buy it - it's pure creation club content. It adds some terrible quests and armors and it is not worth $20 at all. It's nothing you can't get better from nexusmods. The quality and the quantity of the content is inconceivablely weak compared to what you can get for free on all the free mod sites you can think of.

This also means SKSE will stop working for now and we need to wait for an update. On top of that, bethesda updated the visual studio the complier uses from 2016 to 2019, a lot of mods that rely on scripts will break as well even if SKSE is back online. I heavily doubt mods like HDT-SMP will even get an update since the creator HDT herself doesn't even play skyrim anymore.

As for performance enhancement and optimization - don't worry, there is none. These sort of compiler changes may improve the performance of a single function by 10% but that function may only be used 0.001% of the time, so you're looking at a 1fps improvement max in some fringe cases with the AE update.

What does this mean? It means the AE is designed to accomplish two things - grab money from unsuspecting bethesda fans with low quality DLC, and another attempt to break the modding community and push their creation club.

The best solution to this attack on the modding aspect of the game is to simply stay on 1.5.97 version of SSE. I am currently using this downgrade patcher on nexusmods and I will keep updating new methods should this be fixed by Bethesda for some reason:

In the meantime, if you're still confused, have any questions, or issues that is bothering you, don't hesitate to leave a comment or direct message me and I'll help you however I can.

Agree. I don't buy that stuff and turn off auto update automatically. Don't ruin skyrim with this stuff.

Short word...with AE we can say goodbye to sexlab and all sexy stuff including hdt schlong. Hahaha.

Edited by SavrenX

Author

Great that you brought this up to attention! I was reading some angry posts over at the Steam community. One post in particular was interesting as it touched on how to prevent the game from updating.

This is what he wrote.

This is meant for SKSE-modded Skyrim SE users.

You updated and you want to return back to old version? Follow Nexusmods' guide. I'm not aware how links are handled by moderation of Steam, but it should be around. Just search as "Nexus Anniversary Edition".

And do you want to stop updates?
Set game's updates as "only update when I launch it". As a more guaranteed way, go to your steamapps folder and set "appmanifest_489830.acf" to read-only. This will make Steam abort SE's update attempts.

Always run your game from SKSE executable. Either from your mod manager or game folder itself (not sure about this, but first one works).

I just set appmanifest_489830.acf To read only so now I feel a bit more protected from the unwanted and forced update.

The AE update caught me off-guard, so thank you fellas for consolidating important information here. The update did bust almost all NiOverride-based mods, but appeared to leave everything else intact, even the few Nemesis Engine mods I have (Combat Gameplay Overhaul, Archery Gameplay Overhaul, other animation mods...). 

Don't know what I would do if I was one of these modders that made a tool or project that so many other mods rely on. On one hand, it would be cool to bring one final release into the final generation of Skyrim, where after 10 years, the game finally became stable(?) and much nicer to look at. On the other hand, we already have a tool like Kirax mentioned to keep your SSE installation pre-AE, so there's no real need to do anything. I wouldn't blame them if they waited until ES6. Hopefully they don't cut that one into a million different versions!

Author
Author of the topic Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ta96 said:

The AE update caught me off-guard, so thank you fellas for consolidating important information here. The update did bust almost all NiOverride-based mods, but appeared to leave everything else intact, even the few Nemesis Engine mods I have (Combat Gameplay Overhaul, Archery Gameplay Overhaul, other animation mods...). 

Don't know what I would do if I was one of these modders that made a tool or project that so many other mods rely on. On one hand, it would be cool to bring one final release into the final generation of Skyrim, where after 10 years, the game finally became stable(?) and much nicer to look at. On the other hand, we already have a tool like Kirax mentioned to keep your SSE installation pre-AE, so there's no real need to do anything. I wouldn't blame them if they waited until ES6. Hopefully they don't cut that one into a million different versions!

One of the worst offenders of this patch is that 'the game finally became stable and much nicer to look at' isn't what they did, or what they were going for to begin with. The only thing AE update added was a useless fishing function and survival mode which wet and cold blows out of the water. This is one of the most blatant attempt by bethesda to shit on the modders up to date.

Edited by Kirax

20 hours ago, Kirax said:

This is completly innacurate, SKSE was updated prior to AE rolling out, just go look at the site if you don't believe me.

https://www.pcgamer.com/skyrim-anniversary-edition-modpocalypse-partially-averted-by-a-key-modder-getting-early-access/

Author
Author of the topic Posted
15 hours ago, Grumpy Wolf said:

This is completly innacurate, SKSE was updated prior to AE rolling out, just go look at the site if you don't believe me.

https://www.pcgamer.com/skyrim-anniversary-edition-modpocalypse-partially-averted-by-a-key-modder-getting-early-access/

I know this exist,

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/qrepbn/pc_sse_skse64_210_preliminary_release

This is where the new experimental build of SKSE was first posted. It wasn't 'posted prior to AE release', nor is it a better solution than to simply downgrade your game back to the original version.

To say my entire statement is 'completly innacurate' is ludicrous. For anyone looking to use anything more than SkyUI, the testing build is not a good choice, you have to dig no further than the comments on this post to see people having trouble with it.

There is close to no reason to 'upgrade' the game to AE anyway, you don't get any performance boost, your game is just cluttered with more low quality creation club content. If you like that, do whatever you want. But trying to frame the conversation as I'm factually inaccurate and every problem AE brought was solved is being dishonest and spreading misinformation.

1 hour ago, Kirax said:

you don't get any performance boost

*Allegedly* script processing is faster (to the point where scripts try to reference things that haven't even loaded in yet when they didn't before) but I haven't heard anyone say the actual framerates are better.

Author
Author of the topic Posted
37 minutes ago, brassknuckles said:

*Allegedly* script processing is faster (to the point where scripts try to reference things that haven't even loaded in yet when they didn't before) but I haven't heard anyone say the actual framerates are better.

God this shit is so funny

20 hours ago, Kirax said:

One of the worst offenders of this patch is that 'the game finally became stable and much nicer to look at' isn't what they did, or what they were going for to begin with. The only thing AE update added was a useless fishing function and survival mode which wet and cold blows out of the water. This is one of the most blatant attempt by bethesda to shit on the modders up to date.

Oh, no kidding? I thought the SSE update included graphical improvements, but I may have misread something along the way. Ouch, that makes this update even less worthwhile...I tried to be charitable with it, but with mods like iNeed and other fishing mods that have been around since LE, there really was no point in this update, was there?

15 hours ago, brassknuckles said:

Do you know if this referencing error occurs in vanilla SSE installations with the AE update? Whether it just affects user-made mods or both mods and vanilla scripted assets would spell out how nasty of an architectural problem this update wrought, if any at all.

Author

AE only give us fishing and some ordinary armor replacer that not even high quality compared to custom armor from modders. For now really not worth upgrade to AE unless you want say goodbye to Sexlab.

I agree.SL and the fabulous armur mods found here (and a few other places) are what keeps this game replayable! Without those things, it's just a repeat of the original with some minor changes that aren't really worth the money, and definitely not worth the loss of the mods/SL.

Dude, which part didn't you get that ''Anniversary cash grab'' breaks all SKSE and most scripts mods?

If you wanna stay with Anniversary edition you need to wait, (dunno how long, maybe weeks, months?) for most mods to be updated.

Edited by MaleLover

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher  🤩
An automated patcher to downgrade your Skyrim install from the new AE version to the previous SE version, without redistributing files or requiring any sort of complexity. Just download this, and click "Patch" and it'll do the work.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618

6 hours ago, RiverRockets said:

when i tried using the best of both worlds patcher, it worked but it won't let me use the keyboard. it won't respond to any key inputs, only mouse or controller.

It works perfectly for me

489830_20211102014301_2.thumb.png.706f4bb74a3c8d03f3a0c2b030e8cf3c.png

Somehow, even with update as disabled as Steam will allow me, the stupid game updated. Thank the nine there is the patch on Nexus!  I spent a couple of hours and 3 tries to get it downloaded, but it works beautifully. Just to help out, I'll put the link here again for it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618?tab=description

I understand there is an updated SKSE for the AE version, but I have not heard if all the mods also need updating.  Most of the LL mods are not updated at this time. More information will be appreciated, if anyone has it.

17 hours ago, KouLeifoh said:

It's not the end of the world like some people are making it out to be.  I've already applied the AE update just to stop Steam from nagging me about it.

Did you install the updated SKSE? Do you run any LL mods, of other mods that require SKSE? If so, are they all running to spec?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Author

@zhayan13  I'm running a hybrid setup with the AE update (v1.6.318) along with SkyrimSE.exe and binkw64.dll from the previous version (v1.5.97).  CC content from the AE update like fishing and survival mode work fine with the 40 SKSE plugins I use.  Unlike the previous updates, I suspect that the only change in the .exe was a compiler update, but only time will tell.  With that being said, I do have a full backup of v1.5.97 if a rollback is needed.