• Create an account

Want more? Register now and get full access to our community!

Sign in to follow this  
Liusong

Refit Armor NPC spike problem

I got same problem just one time though I have refitted many armors for SAM. Maybe I guess it has its roots in original meshes.

I've had this happen a couple times. Most cases the causes were either my _0 and _1 nifs weren't exactly the same (for example, the _1 had inv markers when I opened it in nifskope when the _0 didn't) or I added a bodytri directly to a piece of armor instead of putting it on SAMBody or SAMPlaceholder. 

The spike problem when using weights other than 0 or 100 occurs when the vertex order is different.  At both ends, the exact vertex coordinates (and everything else, it seems) are used.  When you use something in between, the game will calculate deltas between weights 0 and 100 for each vertex (eg. weight 80 is 80% the distance from vertex1 in 0 to vertex1 in 100).  When refitting armor, it's really important to keep the vertex order/count the same.  Adding/removing vertices will change it.

As for the final nif files, I find that the best way to keep them both the same is to use one as the base, make a copy for the other weight, and use nifskope to copy over the changed vertices.  This will save you a lot of time trying to duplicate all the changes you made in one nif.

• Like 1