• Create an account

Want more? Register now and get full access to our community!

John Cena

Odd lighting on body after modifying normal maps

I recently got back into Skyrim and I wanted to try to recreate one of my characters in Skyrim SE with SAM Light and SAM Morphs for RaceMenu.
I combined two normal maps together in Photoshop and saved it as a .dds afterwards, but now the lighting on the body is acting weird.

WH3BrH0.png

I'm having trouble figuring out why this is happening to begin with. Ì don't know if I'm saving it in the wrong format, if I did something wrong with the RGB channels or if the plugin I'm using for Photoshop is way out of date. Is there a way to fix this?

It's look like normal maps is missing or is't loaded (if u have weak pc).

UPD: Check the texture folder and make sure that there are those textures that you changed. If this is all right, then it happens (at least for me since my PC is a potato) that the textures aren't loaded because of their size (file size) (or something like that), or the format of the image encoding (as in paint.net) can cause problems.

I can be wrong, because I say everything on the basis of my own trials and mistakes and was not interested in this on the Internet.

Edited by Render
UPD

How are you combining the two normal maps?  Unlike diffuse maps, model/object space normal maps are sensitive to color change.  Each RGB channel should show a clear transition from pure white (0x00) to pure black (0xff) of how light bounces off the mesh based on a certain direction.

@Render I'm fairly certain I'm replacing the correct textures. If I replace them with a different texture (one that I didn't make myself, that is), they appear perfectly fine ingame.
Funnily enough, I was trying to combine two addons that you made; Muscular Argonian and Hard Bodies. I'm surprised you haven't done this yet yourself.

@KouLeifoh I followed a tutorial on YouTube that explained how to combine two normal maps into one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8jvroWSCBU
Although I had to do some steps differently because of the way these normal maps work. I'll recreate the image and see if any of the channels weren't pure black/white.

-

So I tried importing and saving one of the .dds files without doing any editing to it and it still looks off ingame. I also tried putting the textures directly in my Skyrim data folder instead of using Mod Organizer 2 just to see if that would do anything, no dice there.

Edited by John Cena
update

That method only works for tangent space normals (purple colored), not object space normals (rainbow colored).  Skyrim uses tangent space for most objects and object space for skin texture.

Ideally, save the model space normal (msn) maps as uncompressed without alpha.  If you use compression, it may look off depending on the type of compression used.

Yep, I figured out that was the case when I was editing the normal maps. it's why I had to do some steps differently so the layers were working correctly in Photoshop.
I just saved it without compressing it and I made sure it doesn't have an alpha channel on it, no luck there either. It's weird, I never had this sort of issue in Oldrim...

Is this for SSE ? you save in BC7 ? If yes....Choose Linear mode. This happen in fallout too. The body become darker if save BC7 in srgb mode. BC7 or BC5...stick to linear mode to prevent Darken lighting. Happen to me in fallout before.

Edited by Don