• Create an account

Want more? Register now and get full access to our community!

Vortiscroc

SAM + Weightmorphs mod texture issue

Posted (edited)

Thanks for SAM! I've loved it for years now. I asked about this on the mod's Nexus thread too, but I thought I'd check in here in case someone else had figured out a solution to this issue.

I started a new Oldrim playthrough with SAM and this time I'm using ousnius's WeightMorphs mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70243

It's working really great for the most part, except that when WeightMorphs alters the Samson/Samuel values, it's still sticking with the basic 0/0 body texture and stretching it out. If I change the Samuel values directly through the SAM menu in MCM, it still works normally.

Basically, I want to be able to play a character that has some nice normal mapped abs at low Samuel values and transitions into the 25, 50 and 75 Samuel textures when the WeightMorph mod changes the values. I can kinda sorta get around it by playing a character with a weight of 24 or lower so that it uses the base smoothish texture there that looks okay when stretched out by the Samuelized mesh, but it's not an optimal solution.

Anyway, thanks for all the awesome mods!

texture questionSAMs.jpg

texture questionWMs.jpg

Edited by Vortiscroc

Posted (edited)

I doubt there's any simple way to get the mod to replicate that texture swapping behavior (even SAM Light doesn't do it)

But you could probably switch over to SAM Light and make use of SAM Morph's texture swapping option to be able to set your own normals for your character

other than that I can't think of much.

Edited by air

1 hour ago, air said:

I doubt there's any simple way to get the mod to replicate that texture swapping behavior (even SAM Light doesn't do it)

But you could probably switch over to SAM Light and make use of SAM Morph's texture swapping option to be able to set your own normals for your character

other than that I can't think of much.

Ah cool, that's a neat idea. I didn't know SAM Light worked with Oldrim. I'll take a look at that and see if I can get it to work. I may just switch over to Special Edition altogether since SAM was the only thing keeping me with the old version. Thanks for the help!

I don't know how WM works but I imagine that it directly calls a morph variation instaed of setting a Samuel value with the native SAM functions (such as SetSamuel()), so it doesn't calculate the value and the corresponding normal map, which it would make sense given it works with female body as well that don't have the "swap normal" mechanics. If that's the case, it's something that should be fixed on the mod's author end.

14 hours ago, Felio said:

I don't know how WM works but I imagine that it directly calls a morph variation instaed of setting a Samuel value with the native SAM functions (such as SetSamuel()), so it doesn't calculate the value and the corresponding normal map, which it would make sense given it works with female body as well that don't have the "swap normal" mechanics. If that's the case, it's something that should be fixed on the mod's author end.

That makes sense. I don't know anything about scripting so I was trying dumb stuff like trying to find the part of the SAM scripts that handles that and pasting into the WM script, but I just broke things, heh.

I ended up running SAM Light in addition to regular SAM and copied and renamed all the base, Samuel and Samson msn texture files as maleargonianbody_01_msn.dds through maleargonianbody_10_msn.dds and I just use the SAM Light self edit spell to swap between them like air suggested.

I'd love it if the author patched it in, but I don't know if they're around anymore. 

Thanks for the response!